Tuesday, September 12, 2006

School life

I guess you have all been waiting for my next post and I'm sorry for the delay. I don't even know where to start... Okay, I'm back to school again. And it's completely different from the way it was. I now go to the highly recommended 'Oberstufe'. For everybody who doesn't have a clue what that is: it's supposed to be the best part of the German school career. Maybe because it's the last part... Anyway, after elementary school German parents can decide how difficult they want their child's life to be. They can either send it to a 'Hauptschule' = easy, 'Realschule' = not that easy anymore or a 'Gymnasium' = difficult. 'Hauptschule' goes from 5th grade to 9th grade and after that you're free to do whatever you like. You don't have to go to school anymore. If you want to continue learning you can either start an apprenticeship or ( if you had good grades ) go to a 'Realschule'. 'Realschule' goes from 5th to 10th grade and the 'Gymnasium' from 5th to 13th grade. After 'Gymnasium' you have reached the highest school education you can get. If you still feel you haven't learned enough you can go to study at a university or College.
Now, back to MY education. I'm in the 11th grade right now and my parents had decided to make my life difficult after 4th grade, so I have visited the 'Gymnasium' for 6 years so far. Now, according to what I have experienced in my first three weeks I gotta say that I LIKE IT! Learning is getting more difficult all the time of course but I have made new friends and it's fun to pass the lessons with them. In the 'Oberstufe' I also had the possibility to choose 3 subjects I wanted to study harder and to drop 2 subjects completely. I chose English, German and Geography as my study-hard-subjects and dropped Physics and Chemistry completely, the two subjects I liked least ( if we don't consider math, because that was a subject I had to keep due to some stupid rules ). Alright, I'm getting sick of talking about school sooo... I'm just gonna end this here. Maybe I'll write another post soon but until then read the 14 posts I've made so far and greetings to everybody who reads this and I guess it's not gonna be my family because they can't remember the internet address. Or perhaps they're just not interested. Whatever.

No comments: